Monday, March 15, 2010

let them eat cake on Pi day


"It's Pi day today," commented my daughter-in-love Jill last evening. A lemon cake sat on the kitchen counter, so of course I thought she meant "Pie Day" and oh dear, here I'd made a CAKE rather than a PIE on Pie Day.

Nope, Pi Day, March 14 or 3.14, the mathematical configuration for Pi. Did I say that right? Gosh, I hate math and stink at it. I only know 3.14 means Pi, somehow. Feel free to correct me. I should google it. The ignorance is killing me, so I will ... from http://www.piday.org/:

Pi, Greek letter is the symbol for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Pi Day is celebrated by math enthusiasts around the world on March 14th. Pi = 3.1415926535…

So, we made our cake into a lemon "Pi Cake," not to be confused with a lemon pie.

It's March in the midwest .... we must entertain ourselves.

Did you celebrate Pi Day?

6 comments:

Jenny Haller said...

Ha! I appreciate how you say "its march in Ohio" as though there is nothing to do... I celebrated Pi day by grading a lot of Dan's math papers!

karen Dawkins said...

Ooooh, I can see it now. Pi day decorations filling store shelves before Christmas. People shopping for days to prepare the pi day feast!!!

Barb said...

It's a fickle month. In like a lion and all. But today is sunny, in the 50's and the bulbs are beginning to peek up. A good day to walk the dog too!

But we haven't yet put away the snow shovels either ....

-d said...

I'm thinking your cake should have been round so that you could have measured the circumference.

BTW, don't let Hallmark know you're celebrating an "un-card" holiday!

Barb said...

Yeah, it should have been round, had I even realized it was Pi Day BEFORE I made the cake!

anne said...

I've never even heard of Pi day - but my love for math is right up with yours! This is silly!