Monday, March 1, 2010

happy birthday, Anne!


I remember the day my sister was born: March 1, 1961. I was a six-year-old with two bothersome brothers and a little sister was desperately needed.

So my dad's call from the hospital brought utter joy: a girl named Anne! Though I wasn't fully aware at the time, my sister had a scary start to life and we were blessed to have her.

Anne became my little doll, my very own baby. I played with her, helped with her feeding and folded mountains of cloth diapers with our mom. Learning so many new skills, I suppose I was unwittingly being homeschooled, since I didn't begin school until that fall. 

Anne was special, my only sister, although sometimes I forgot and treated her like dirt. We shared some fun times: playing in the snow in Connecticut and playing "flip and up-go" on the living room floor (a secret, stupid game). And always, we were a united front against our brothers. (Can you believe this photo? Wow.)



In recent years we've renewed our sister friendship through concern for our dad, two weddings and I guess finally realizing we should. And want to. Last August Anne drove here all alone, from St. Louis, for my son's wedding.  That was a sweet message of love to me.

But today I honor YOU, Anne. You are what no one else can be: my one and only sister in the whole world. We share a past as no one else can. Be blessed and celebrated this day! I love you.


As I began writing, I re-read last year's post and decided it still said it best.
So this post is borrowed from last year!

3 comments:

LPool said...

I understand this post completely. I too have a sister, also born when I had two brothers, one a year older and one a year younger. She came along on my 5th birthday. Yes, two girls born on the same day 5 years apart. As a child I didn't care for it much...we seemed to be at oposite ends of the universe but as college came and we both grew up it became something so special. Now as adults I can't imagine not sharing my birthday. We always celebrate together and I feel for all those women out there who don't have a sister because there is nothing like them.

Barb said...

Thanks for your memories, too, Lyn!

Anne said...

and you are my wonderful big sister - I love you so much, thank you for the tribute and the memories - where did you find that picture and when was it taken? I was skinny!! :)