Thursday, September 3, 2009

sand: the big deal

Yesterday I spent an hour at a park with a little friend of mine. We had a fun time. My little guy has a favorite slide, a favorite swing ... and usually enjoys digging in the sand pit.

My mind wandered back a few years, when we set up a sandbox in our backyard. It provided hours and hours of pouring, building, creating, and social interaction for my kids. When they'd had enough, they stood on the deck, removed their shoes and socks (if they even wore them that day) and got a good brush-down from mom. If any sand made its way to their hair, a good bath took care of it. I loved how the kids were occupied and entertained in the sand.

Apparently, other parents don't share my enthusiasm for sand.

No less than three parents rushed to 'rescue' their children yesterday from the sand pit.

"Oh, you'll get dirty!"
"Your shoes will have sand in them! You don't want THAT, do you?"
"Yech!"

Maybe it has something to do with cats using sand as a potty, but gracious, you'd think the child was drinking toilet bowl cleaner.

Kids love to get down and dirty. It's how they learn. The benefits of sand play far outweigh the mess.

And last I checked, kids are thoroughly washable.

7 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

AMEN!!!

Same goes for play doh, bubbles, chalk, and paint - watercolor at least

Lori Flaglor said...

Half the fun of childhood is the dirt you carry around on you from all the things you did that day! I wanted my kids to play in the sandbox (and put the lid on when they were done :-) ).

Anonymous said...

I love to read your posts..You make everything so interesting and true to life .

Barb said...

Why, thank you, Anonymous.

My mom called me "gut honest." Others might say "too opinionated."

But that's what a blog's for ... journaling thoughts and opinions!

Anonymous said...

What kids doesn't have a need to get dirty? Those are some of my boy's best memories.
d.

Jenny Haller said...

Our immune systems thrive on dirt and grime. How else would we build antibodies?

Barb said...

Thanks for your sensible comment, Jenny. Yay dirt! Boo clean-freak moms!