Monday, August 24, 2009

tomatoes vs. friends



Here it is, August 24, and I all I have to show for my gardening is one tomato. It's a beauty, as tomatoes go. But just ONE?

I used to grow a decent crop of tomatoes prior to pushing out the back of our house ten years ago. Encroaching closer to the pine trees, the previously sun-splashed south side of the house grew ever shadier. And tomatoes absolutely must have lots of sun.

The front yard is more open, but faces north. And who grows tomatoes in the front yard? Oh. My neighbor Lynn, that's who. Sorry, Lynn! You may grow tomatoes wherever you choose.

Some of you readers might be aghast to learn we live in a SUBDIVISION here in Ohio. Yeah, the S-word! Country people, I know a few, just can't fathom living in a subdivision.

Our lot might not lend itself to grand gardens. But we have grown something else over the past 20 years. Blessed, awesome friendships with our neighbors.

And I'll take friends over home-grown tomatoes any day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Savor that one.
-d

Lori Flaglor said...

I'll bring you some tomatoes next week when I'm back from retrieving Anna from Cape Cod! I (for once!) have a bountiful crop!

Dave Haller said...

That picture makes me laugh -- you look so proud of your tomato!

Jenny Haller said...

Yeah for fruits of labor!

Barb said...

Thanks, Lori! That was fast service ... and they are yummy!

And David, I am most CERTAINLY proud of my 'mato!