Thursday, February 20, 2014

happy birthday, Katie!

The birthdays are whizzing by and blog-wise I've missed a couple. I did catch Bill's birthday in January, but my son Dan's on January 26 was missed (on the road) and son Mark's on February 8 got barely a mention (the day before Lily's, though we were with him!) Yesterday was my brother Pat's birthday. A collective happy birthday! So here we are today, Katie's 24th birthday.

Twenty-four. Whew. Katie's birth story is one of my favorites. I had to call Bill at the office a couple of times to get him home. David, 6, rubbed my back as I was on all fours in the family room, pretty much in full labor, while Bill's mom stood wringing her hands. We arrived at the hospital just after 3:30 p.m. and Katie arrived at 4:24 p.m. after a push or two. No doctor was present, just two nurses and Bill. We shouldn't have paid the absent OB!


It was very special to bring a girl home from the hospital to our three little boys. (I never wanted to know the sex of my babies and loved being surprised.) Katie had no choice but to fit right in with the boys' games and wild romps around the house. I think having brothers took away any mystery about boys in general: a good thing!

For my part, having a daughter after three sons was a wonder: sweet and baffling all at once. Katie is and always was a quiet and introspective soul, so much so that at times I found it hard to know my own daughter. She wasn't easily swayed or persuaded, which can be maddening for a mother but served her powerfully in adolescence and young adulthood.


We had many tough moments, this girl and me. But I've come to realize what God is teaching me through Katie. First of all that she is HIS, not mine. He fashioned her perfectly for his purposes. I can't wait to see how God will use Katie's pure spirit and beautiful gifts in a world so needing them. I've learned humility, the power of prayer, and (though Katie might disagree), a bit more patience.

Thank you for all you are to me, Katie. I love you and wish you a very happy birthday!

Taken last summer, a favorite photo of Katie with her nieces Ari and Ashlyn

No comments: