Wednesday, January 23, 2013

the rhythm of the road: south to Florida

We were up early for coffee and a quick breakfast with my brother before hitting the road. Roughly 400 miles lay between us and our destination on the east coast of Florida.

After a quick stop in St. Augustine to say hello to Bill's brother Bob and wife Tracy, we were back on the road.

How I love driving south in January, leaving the frigid midwest behind. With every mile the temperature rose and I cracked my window open a little more. The soft scent of ocean and vegetation took me back to our early married days in south Florida.

We arrived by dinnertime at the home of Dan and Beth, dear friends we have known for over 30 years. They live in the cute little town of Jensen Beach, which in some ways reminds me of our Ohio hometown, plunked down on the coast of Florida.



Beth and I hopped in the car and took a walk through a gorgeous park near the water. (The St. Lucie River, I believe ... which I kept confusing with the Intracoastal Waterway.) I oohed and aahed the whole time. The wind, the tropical warmth, the foliage all felt pretty close to heaven!

We made homemade pizza for dinner and enjoyed catching up on life. It rained the next day, but we were there more for the company than the beach and had a great day, including a rainy stroll in downtown, adorable Jensen Beach. Dan grilled a salmon filet that night ... out of this world! Then we played a rousing game of Sequence. What is sweeter than fellowship with dear friends?


The next day, Beth had her grandson for the day. What fun to share being grandmas for a day and taking him on an outing to play in the water at a pint-sized beach on the Intracoastal. When Beth and I first met, we had no children at all. And now we're both grandmothers. That's some history! And we're a little crazy....


Beth and I are close friends, yes, but also sisters in Christ. The spiritual aspect of our relationship deepens and enriches it so beautifully. 

Thank you, Dan and Beth, for your warm hospitality in your warm, sunny climate!
You're a blessing.
Tomorrow: a visit with more friends.

No comments: