Friday, August 31, 2012

the purpose of life


There's been quite a bit going on with us. The sudden move of Mark, Jill and Lily, keeping tabs on our ailing parents, the college graduation of our youngest, Katie, and helping her to figure out what's next. And she might be moving, too. You might say it's thrown me off kilter a bit.

I'd gotten away from reading My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers, but I've picked it up again this week. Like root beer, there seem to be two camps regarding Oswald Chambers. He just doesn't "grab" the one group, but the other group is madly in love with his thoughts and meditations. I fall into the latter group. (Though I'm in the first group when it comes to root beer. Ha.)

Oswald Chambers was a powerful Bible teacher who lectured 100 years ago in his native Great Britain and abroad. Following his sudden death in 1917, his wife Biddy gathered his notes and lectures and compiled them into what became My Utmost for His Highest, published in 1927.

Chambers writings aren't scripture. But they incorporate scripture and interpret its precepts in challenging meditations. In this season of changes, I need to keep focused on God's ultimate purpose for me. From September 1, Chambers writes:

We must continually remind ourselves of the purpose of life. We are not destined to happiness, nor to health, but to holiness. (Not a popular concept, would you agree?) Today we have far too many desires and interests, and our lives are being consumed and wasted by them.  Many of them may be right, noble , and good, and may later be fulfilled, but in the meantime God must cause their importance to us to decrease.  The only thing that truly matters is whether a person will accept the God who will make him holy. At all costs, a person must have the right relationship with God.  "...it is written, 'be holy for I am holy.'" 1 Peter 1:16

So I need not be concerned about happiness or health or earthly desires, but instead drawing close to God and desiring what he desires. As I get closer to that end, everything will fall into place. In the meantime, the road may be bumpy. But God didn't promise a problem-free life. Just an amazing life in his love and care. Hallelujah!




No comments: