Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Say No to Crack

Our yard sale over the weekend netted a mediocre profit. It always does. I rant and rave, saying "WE'RE GONNA REALLY CLEAN OUT THIS HOUSE" but then our merchandise is rather scant.

I've decided the best part of having a yard sale is watching the browsers and customers. I found it so fascinating that I took notes this year. Observed:

- a kid of about 19 helped his parents load some items into their truck. He was wearing flannel pj bottoms and no shoes. I guess it was all they could do to get him out of bed on a Saturday morning.

- we sold - SOLD - our NordicTrack during the first hour of the sale. It's been in our basement since 1987. A lady down the street bought it for $10.

- My policy is to give Bibles away, not sell them. It took a few hours for someone to take the free teen Bible.

- This was a four-neighbor yard sale and we made a rule: no trading/buying each other's stuff! It defeats the goal of de-cluttering! Of course we broke the rule by 6 p.m. the night before the sale. I owed Lynn $12.35 for a quilt, binoculars, and other misc.

- Yard sale customers are a microcosm of society. You see all sorts of examples of people, manners and - especially - child discipline.

- My favorite clothing accessory was worn by a large man. His suspenders, at first glance, looked red, white and blue. Patriotic! But as Bill chatted with him, I carefully studied his suspenders. From a distance of course. They read: "Say no to Crack" and sported a pair of man's pants with a little bare 'crack' peeking over the top. Goodness gracious. Such style.

2 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

People will make fun of 80's teens forever. I accept that... because I KNOWWWWWWW that this "crack period" is going down as the world's worst!!!

My teens -- who are not allowed to wear crack sharing attire -- will never be able to explain this style to their kids!

Barb said...

Agreed!!