Saturday, July 24, 2010

sisters' excellent adventure: a visit with pineapple man

If you've been hanging around this blog for awhile, you might remember the posts on my dad, "pineapple man." Sadly, he lives more than 400 miles from me.

This week my sister and I visited together, making it an especially sweet time. We haven't had a real sister-to-sister visit in years. Of course I took my camera and tried to shoot some moments ... though we were kinda busy what with driving to and fro (and learning our way around Nashville as we went), visiting with both dad and our stepmom Sally AND our lovely stepsister Anne. (to complicate things a bit, my sister AND my stepsister are both named Anne.)

Here's my sister Anne with Dad in Sally's apartment.


Dad and Sally took us to the Loveless Cafe,
a historic cafe/motel out on highway 100.
Why can't anyone north of Kentucky make good sweet tea?




In my last post, I shared a Longfellow poem called Kindness.
Anne and I were blown away by the kindnesses we witnessed at
Richland Place, where Dad and Sally live.


There was Michelle, the sweet and caring woman who cuts, styles
and perms the residents' hair. When I found her with her hands full, she came to dad's room when she had time for him.

Mia is one of dad's amazing attendants. She takes his vitals, chats, knows his whereabouts, brings his dinner, bums gum off him, finds his TV remote,
and brings her kittens in for a visit.


Anne and I happened upon a fabulous fruit stand. Look at those South Carolina peaches! Dad loved them. The tiny plums in front are called Bubble Gum Plums!


Oh, I couldn't help myself. What a cool sky over Publix!


Anne gave Dad a first-rate manicure. So patient and gentle, she was.



While Dad napped one afternoon, Anne and I zipped over to see 
Nashville's Parthenon.



It isn't easy seeing the decline and growing dependence of a parent. But I'm blessed by the kind caregivers who love those entrusted to them.

No comments: