Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Help, part 1

                    

Kathryn Stockett has a winner. She wrote the New York Times #1 bestseller, The Help. I waited to borrow a copy on a list of at least two dozen at our local library and nearly missed this treasure, except my daughter-in-love Jenny  encouraged me to read it.

The Help is set in Jackson, Mississippi in the early 1960's. "Skeeter," a main character, is a young, white college graduate whose coming-of-age opens her eyes to the deplorable treatment of the black domestics in her circle of friends and family. Her growing conviction leads her to interview a number of maids, "the help," and write their stories in hopes of publication. Skeeter's ride is not an easy one. She's shunned by lifelong friends, and must win the trust of the suspicious domestics.

Fifty years removed, many of us didn't experience or don't remember the struggles of the civil rights era. But I remember. There was a person in my life who made it her business to help me remember. She was my Skeeter.

In my next post, I will share.

5 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

Unrelated to the post :)
I like the new look!

Jenny Haller said...

I am so glad that I used my pushy personality to encourage you to read the book :) I think books should uproot our own emotions and thoughts. I hope it wasn't too tough but this may open a world of memories for you to do your own writing! I'm looking forward to hearing your stories.

Barb said...

Jenny, you are safe to be 'pushy' with me, though I don't think you were. You helped me to risk memories and emotions, and revisit experiences that have shaped me.
Thanks ... love you!

-d said...

I'll maybe have to borrow your book. Another friend just recommended I read it. :-)

LPool said...

This book is next on my reading list.