Tuesday, November 10, 2009

pineapple man, part 2 ... football

Given the events of the previous day, I entered dad's hospital room with a heavy heart, a dread more ominous than the day's date: Halloween. God carried me, yet I still felt the burden of spending another day with my fragile, weak, confused father.

I cried again. And so did he. I helped with his breakfast, though this time I let him feed himself. How would he ever re-learn the task if I did it for him? Slowly, shakily, he ate eggs and toast, spilling a part of it on his gown.

As a young girl, I often found my dad parked in front of the TV on weekend afternoons. I'd walk through the family room.

"Whatcha watching?" I'd ask, feigning interest.

"Football." Obviously.

"Who's winning?" like I cared.

I really only wanted a bit of my dad's weekend. A walk in the woods, a game of cards, an outing to get ice cream. And he did some of those, sometimes. But he worked hard, often travelling during the week. I now realize he must have been exhausted. But in my 10-year-old mind, it seemed football was of more interest to him, and I resented that. It's no wonder I have never, ever really liked football.

On this day, a Saturday, I scanned the sports page I'd brought for him. The Arkansas Razorbacks, dad's favorite team, were slated to play at 3:00 p.m.

"Dad! Guess who's playing this afternoon?"
"The hawgs?" he grinned weakly.
"Bingo! Let's watch it!"

And so we sat, dad in a hospital bed and me on the edge of a chair beside him, watching football. I cheered the touchdowns and pretended to understand the plays and strategies. His Arkansas Razorbacks, the very thing I resented so long ago, brought unity and focus between us. I didn't care two hoots about the game. But my feeble narration seemed to pull him back to me.

I cried. Again.

And I laughed at the irony. Only our great God could show such tenderness in this way: to build a bridge from the thing I care least about: football, to one I love so much: my father.

8 comments:

Mark said...

Good one, sis. Loved the idea of trying to connect with him through his love of the Razorbacks. You're the best.

Anonymous said...

I love reading your posts !!!

Unknown said...

There is something so strangely sacred about daughter becoming mother to our real life heroes, our dads! Among the quietness, the tears and the prayers I was blessed beyond anything I could ever hope or imagine by my Heavenly Father. I pray the same for you Dear Friend.

Anonymous said...

You are precious.
d.

Anonymous said...

self-less giving...that is what it is all about. You were thinking more of how you could relate to your Dad instead of remembering all the times when he didn't care enough about you to spend time doing things you wanted to do. Thank you for doing the right thing....so many times people think it is all about them and their needs....you are an awesome daughter to your Dad here on earth and your Father in heaven...

Dave Haller said...

Thank you for writing about your visit to Nashville. Your writing (and Uncle Mark's) has been inspiring and thought-provoking. It makes me feel like I'm right there in the room with you -- what a sacred privilege.

Not sure if you have more in the hopper, but I hope so!

Barb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barb said...

Thanks for the feedback, dear friends and family. And speaking of the hopper, David, what's in yours?? I'm waiting.