Sunday, November 29, 2009

goodbye for now, pineapple man ... part 6

Wednesday, November 4

When I was little, Dad often took me on his Saturday errands. A favorite destination: Sears Roebuck. Dad might check the sales in the men's clothing and poke around the hardware department. At last we'd stop at the candy and popcorn counter. Every Sears had one: long, glass cases filled with tempting treats, all at a 6-year-old's eye level. Dad would buy us a big paper bag of warm popcorn to share.

Then it was back home to mom, my brothers and sister, and life as usual. How I wanted to continue on a long, exciting adventure with Dad.

Sometime around the age where I began to think, question and discuss the mysteries of life, Dad seemed to lose interest in relating to me. I ached for a closeness with him but it wasn't to be. It seemed he had no idea how to relate to me at that age. This perplexed me.

People have commented after reading these posts: "How great to spend that time with your dad. It reminds me to spend more time with my own dad."

You must understand: I spent the week forging a relationship that never was. I got to know my own father on a deeper, more profound level and in fact, I discovered a person I never knew. Our time revealed to me how much we have missed, and affirmed my resolve to build solid relationships with those I love.

As I helped Dad through his physical therapy, I ached, knowing I'd say goodbye to him at the end of today. Home and family called me back to Ohio, but some serious heartstrings had formed between the two of us. I felt protective of Dad, bound to him by all we'd been through over six days.

And I laughed, remembering another witty comment he'd made during lunch. A girl walked by wearing those funny furry boots. After she passed us, Dad said, "she looks like the tail end of the Iditarod!"

Oh, I'd have loved to race the Iditarod with pineapple man ... certainly an adventure far greater than Sears. But I'm grateful for this week, an adventure in itself and a sweet and perfect gift.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Parent-child relationships can be very complicated. But then, sometimes we complicate them more than we need to...

Anonymous said...

It is so hard to forgive, yet, when we do, life becomes so much sweeter. Thank you for being so honest! Enjoy the time you have - no regrets! You chose to get to know him now, and that is a blessing to savor.

Love you.