Friday, October 23, 2009

autumn



Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. - George Eliot



It seems to me that autumn took its sweet time floating in this year. And now it seems to be in a rush to finish and give way to winter.



I follow autumn's lead ... yanking geraniums, cutting back long-dead ferns and storing the garden hoses.



How I love autumn. It stirs sweet memories of leaf-raking and luscious apples in my New England childhood. It offers a reprieve from the constant care of flower beds and thirsty impatiens. And autumn's explosion of colors is beyond compare.



Won't you linger awhile, autumn? What's your hurry?



(c) Barbara M. Haller

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The MOST beautiful time of the year, especially a sunny day like today. I just want to be immersed in its colors.

klrodman said...

How come I never noticed the beauty of a hosta in autumn until this year?