Saturday, July 18, 2009

And that's the way it is



We lost "the most trusted man in America" yesterday. He was 92. Walter Cronkite was the only voice of news I knew throughout my childhood. He delivered the day's news at 6:30 every weeknight. Kennedy's assassination. The Vietnam War. War protesters, Woodstock and Watergate. In a world of turmoil, he was our calm and constant presence.



I remember, I guess at the age of enlightenment, realizing that Walter Cronkite might someday die like everyone else. And I asked my dad, "well, who will report the news?" I couldn't imagine anyone else on earth we might want in our living room every night.

After Walter Cronkite retired in 1981, others took his job. But for me, no one really filled his shoes. He was like a grandfather, warm and familiar, but fully capable of bringing the world to us. He ended every newscast with "And that's the way it is."

Farewell, Mr. Cronkite. You were a part of my life and I've missed you. But that's the way it is.

No comments: