Tuesday, December 10, 2013

decorating

 
 
Confession.
With each passing year I am losing the enthusiasm to decorate for Christmas.
Ugh!
One commenter said on Donna Boucher's recent post
"it must have to do with being in our 50's."
 
I am a bit tired ....
of hauling the bins from the crawl space,
of picking through the knick-knacks and garlands and light strands and coffee mugs
to decide what gets used and what stays in the bins.
And for what?
Yes, to serve as a reminder of the coming and the hope of Christ,
though I can do that in my words and thoughts and actions and prayers and worship.
But then who am I to forego my mother's electric candles in the windows,
a simple tree adorned with lights and 35 years of ornaments?
Would I regret it come December 24?
 
So two days ago, Katie and I hauled out the bins
and in a less-than-reverent voice I announced,
"one hour! I'm only doing this for one hour!"
And that's what we did.
That evening Bill said,
"the house looks nice. Thank you."
 
More on this topic later!
 
 

No comments: