Saturday, September 7, 2013

bookends

Today is the due date for our fifth grandchild,
a boy, Lily's little brother.
Jill saw the doctor yesterday and thankfully,
everything is fine with the baby and with Jill. Just no labor yet.
Lily came just 3 hours past her due date!
 
with Lily last November


And so we wait for the exciting news of labor and joyous arrival of a new life.

The news from Nashville is that my dad continues to hang in there,
but there is overall decline.
In this window, this specific time, I feel I am between bookends.
One is the beginning of life.
My new grandsons are being born into loving families and
before them lie the hopes and dreams of what God has ordained.

The other bookend is Dad, winding down a full life.
He'll leave this world to his grandchildren and great-grandchildren,
a world far different from the one he entered nearly 89 years ago.

Though I accept that Dad's time is nearly over,
my heart is burdened and my mind feels overwhelmed with what lies ahead.
The new baby and my dad are each 400 miles from me,
bookends 800 miles apart!
 
Things have a way of working out and I believe God is in the details.
He's also wooing me to lean fully on Him
and trust Him as I welcome one new life and await the inevitable loss of another.
Are any of us good at waiting?
Oh, how God is teaching me to trust and wait.  
 
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition,
with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
Philippians 4:6


No comments: