Tuesday, July 19, 2011

(grand) mothering

Oh, how the memories of mothering two little ones had dimmed. The tiny sweetness of two babies ... their constant needs that utterly exhaust mom and dad … the days and nights that mesh together without end until at last some semblance of a schedule starts to take shape.

As a young mother, I needed a schedule badly and my little ones did, too. The perpetual-motion toddler and nursing newborn took every ounce of my fortitude. But they also helped me tap a previously-unknown depth of love and devotion from inside myself. And it was wonderful.

And so, as a grandmother now to two little ones, those memories of wondering how I’d make it through another day come rushing back as I chase an impish Ari and snuggle a sleeping Ashlyn. I exert only a fraction of the energy I see in my son and daughter-in-love, but how I cherish this time.


Thank you, God, for this chance to be with babies again: at once familiar but also so new.

4 comments:

klrodman said...

Another beautiful baby. I see Ari is exploring with Ashlyn. Their discovery is our delight.

Kathleen said...

Oh you captured those newborn days so eloquently, Barb. Makes me miss them.

-d said...

Such sweetness.

Lanita said...

We kept 15-month-old Findlay for a week, just during the day, and wondered how we did it so easily back 29 years ago! We loved having the quick little roamer, but we were exhausted by the end of the week.