Wednesday, May 11, 2011

full

"Feeling so full of love and gratefulness after a sweet two days."
 ~ quote borrowed from Donna Boucher - a photographer/blogger I follow.


When my kids were around 13 to 19, they let me know they were
smarter and cooler than me. No yelling at mom: not allowed.
But subtle things got the message across:
don't walk, talk, laugh or eat with me in public
don't dress too old - or too young
don't kiss me when you drop me off at school
and for heaven's sake,
don't touch me!

But then our kids jumped from the nest and began living real life:
paying bills, buying a car, feeding themselves and doing taxes.
Then mom and dad are suddenly smarter!
We spent the last two days with David, our oldest.
When he's working, I'm still not allowed to hug him or ask him to pose for a photo. Awkward. But otherwise, he seemed totally comfortable hanging out, eating, laughing, talking, and walking down the street with me.


It was a full and sweet time and I am grateful.
Grateful he loves his career.
Grateful to laugh together.
Grateful that a grown son seemed to enjoy being with us.
Grateful I no longer have any 14-year-olds!
Grateful for a full heart.



 

4 comments:

Dave Haller said...

Aw shucks. So good to see you and Dad. Thanks again for coming up!

Dad, where did you get your eye for photography? Looks like an award-winner.

Hey I finished off that pizza, salad and carrot cake...so my stomach could also be described as "full."

Karen Dawkins said...

Ben's about to turn 14. He is my huggy one... is it about to end??? Please say it isn't so.

Great to see pictures of David. AND so happy you got to spend time with him! Even if it was rainy Cleveland.

Dave Haller said...

Aw shucks. Had a great time with you and Dad. Thanks for making the trip!

Dad that photo you took looks like an award winner - where did you get your skill?

Mom why didn't you include the one of you by the chalk?

Finished off the pizza, salad and carrot cake in Cleveland. Now that I'm home I'm underway on the granola. Mmmmmmmm.

Barb said...

Chalk pic is coming ...