Wednesday, January 20, 2010

January ramblings

It's one of those months when my head swirls with a hectic work schedule, while my heart holds the memory of holding my precious new granddaughter during the nights of our visit. Bear with my other ramblings ...

It's so comforting to have a few meals in the freezer.

I miss summer days in Michigan.


Inching closer to February, I'm tiring of winter. Not detesting it ... just weary. Much as I'm ready, there's no use peeking in the flower beds for crocus.

I don't wish for - or not wish for - snow days 'cause there are no kids at home anymore. Odd.

January used to bring monumental stress into my life, due to our family's "birthday season." We still have the birthdays, but without the parties, treat bags, balloons, cupcakes for school, cakes and so forth. I don't miss it. Much.

I'm bursting with pride over learning that a friend of ours, Dr. Rob Dawkins, will soon head to Haiti to lend his heart and medical expertise. Godspeed, Rob.

My dad and stepmom are on my mind and heart. They are in the midst of life changes that require much patience and grace. And I wish I didn't live 450 miles from them.

I miss my granddaughter Ari. We had some mighty fine snuggling during her second week of life.


Hubby and I often eat our dinner IN FRONT OF THE TV WATCHING THE NATIONAL NEWS. I know, that sounds pathetically old-person. But I distinctly remember the night we ceased watching the news many years ago. It was when our oldest son, listening in, asked, "mommy, what's rape?" So now we can catch up on 25 years of not watching the news.

But. I'd skip the news every day ... for one evening snuggling Ari*.

* And if you're puzzled by the name 'Ari,' you absolutely must read this post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow... Ari, the evening news, empty nesting, Rob's Haiti trip.. and more... all in one concise post. You do know how to ramble artistically. tee hee

Thanks for the prayers for Rob!