Wednesday, January 6, 2010

and she shall be called...

Goodness, I never dreamed coming up with my grandmother title would be so difficult. In fact, I thought it was the grandchild's job, not mine! But the pressure's on: not only from the new parents, but from friends and family as well.

In four days I'll hold my new granddaughter, Ari, for the first time: my first GRANDCHILD, that is. And if I don't come up with a name soon, we might just never bond.

Pat Snyder, a local columnist, wrote a funny piece on this topic recently. She asserts that according to Maridel Bowes, author of Who Are You Calling Grandma?: True Confessions of a Baby Boomer's Passage, the term "Grandma" is considered passe among baby boomers. Ack. I certainly don't want to be uncool. I mean, I'm still wearing jeans and tennis shoes and riding a bike!

My own grandmothers had odd nicknames: My dad's mom was Memaw (which rhymes with seesaw, and my sister and I used to perform a silly gymnastic feat using these words. No, thanks.) And we called my maternal grandmother by her real name, Dorothy. I don't know how it ever started and she detested it. She was a fabulous grandma nonetheless.

The name "Baba" occurred to me: this is what our first-born called me when he heard Bill call me Barbara. When I researched Googled 'Baba,' I discovered it does indeed mean 'grandmother' in Serbian. So why not?

Then (can you believe this?) I came across a quiz to determine a fitting grandmother name ... here are the results:

You are a modern, active, no-nonsense grandmother. Your children may get frustrated that you're not often home to babysit, but your grandchildren will appreciate your energy and enthusiasm. They may not appreciate it when you beat them at tennis. You love sports (what??), either as a spectator or as a participant, or even both. People say that you don't look like a grandmother. Nan, Gran, Grandmom, Nina or Mema suit your grandmothering style.

Ari's other grandma is well settled with her name, Grammy, since this is her third grandchild. It'll be a relief when the subsequent grandkids arrive and I'll already be named. Honestly, I don't care what I'm called, as the saying goes: just so they call me, hug and kiss me.

So, what do you think? If you have a good and (note to my sons) appropriate grandma nickname for me to consider, please get it to me quick. Within four days!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I remember typing this to you on 1-1-10 at 8:25 am: "Congratulations, Grandma? Grammy? Gram Gram? Baba Haller...?" and thought, at the time, that "Baba" was sweet and fit you!
-d

Anonymous said...

BTW, you can change your "about me" from "almost grandmother." :-)

Dave Haller said...

Here are a few ideas:

Meemaw?
Beebaw?
Babushka?
BARBIE!
G-Ma
Mopsie (and Popsie)

Barb said...

I asked for it ... and knew I'd get it ...

anne said...

Our kids call Craig's mom & dad Mamaw and Papa (pronounced Mawmaw & Pawpaw), which have been used in the family for a few generations. However, my kids have altered the pronounciation by saying, AND writing, Mamal & Papal! Somehow, an 'L' got put on the end!
BTW, Dorothy was so named because of the first grandchild, who heard her being called that, (prolly) by Poppy, and it stuck. Craig's mom wanted to be called Grandmom (which I do not like - too hard for a small child to say) but it was not to be. I think the child ends up calling you what they want, no matter what you pick. I think Mamaw is a good grandmother name, and Baba is kind of cute, or how about Babushka....Baba for short!
There's always Beebarb - ha ha ha

Anonymous said...

Rob's mom's childhood nickname was GG. And it suits an active, funloving grandma just as well. I vote GG. Easy to say. Fun! and I certainly associate it with all the awesome granny attributes out there :)

Besides, since Rob's your favorite member of my family, it seems only fitting that you choose it.

but I agree with Ann. The name "births itself."

Now go pack!

Barb said...

I like GG ... except that's the name Bill's mom's great-grandchildren call her, for great-grandmother. Don't think I'm ready for THAT!

LPool said...

Always an interesting situation. My mother's parents died when we were so young (1st and 2nd grade) and they were so far away that we never got to a name. My father's parents unfortunately did not care for us...he was an only child...so it was always very, very formal. Grandmother and Grandfather. My own parents are called Nannie and Popo. It suits them to a T. :) I like GAGA and Popo but the kids will end up calling you what they want. Congratulations on your new position. :)

klrodman said...

My sis-in-law is a new Grandma and she chose "Baba". I still think it's strange that we get to decide our own names...we didn't when we were born or when we birthed our children. I have great memories of my "Grandmommy" & "Grandma". Yes, they are long and a mouthful, but it is what we (you) are. I'm sure I'll feel differently when I get to that point. ha.

Your name won't make you cool. Your love for those grandchildren will make you the coolest in their eyes. :)