Wednesday, May 20, 2015

65th anniversary

 
This photo was taken 65 years ago today at my parents' wedding
in Memphis, Tennessee.
Weddings were so different then.
Look at the huge flower arrangement behind my grandfather on the left!
No dinner afterward: I imagine this was a cake reception at the church.
Mom wore a tea-length dress and my grandmothers of course
were decked out with their gloves, hats and purses. 
With the exception of my dad's father, all my grandparents
were younger than I am now, yet they look so old in their dowdy clothing!
 
This joyous union produced four children but lasted just 28 years
when my mother died of cancer in May of 1979. Dad married a lovely woman,
Sally, and their marriage lasted over 30 years before Dad's death.
He was the only person I knew who celebrated TWO 25th anniversaries!
 
To my children and all young marrieds, cherish the one you marry
because this life holds no guarantees.
One day your children will look at your wedding photos
and wonder where the years went.  
 
With all your strength and with God's grace, love big and love well!
 
 
 

No comments: