Thursday, December 10, 2009

the Christmas letter

You know the letter. Mom brags on her fabulously perfect children who get full scholarships to Yale, or her husband who received three promotions this year. Or, her husband left her, her son's on drugs and she is awaiting word on a biopsy. I don't know why people write those letters and send them out at Christmas. Maybe the good stuff is intended to bring cheer and the bad stuff is intended to reveal real life.

Many years ago, I fashioned a new sort of Christmas letter. I don't really know what my intent was: maybe to be completely different than any Christmas letter ever written. I'm quirky like that. After a few years, our Christmas letter gained quite the reputation as "unusual," "hilarious," "interesting," "creative," and other such adjectives. I'm honored, but honestly, don't people realize there are libraries full of great literature, year-round?

Then, the other day as I crawled in the crawl space (what dumb architect ever designed such a space in a house?) I came across a bag of our old letters. I embarked on a trip of memories and laughter, dating back to 1991: a chronicle of the life and times of our family.

A few highlights:
~ We've had the same e-mail address for 10 years.
~ 17 years ago, I was thrilled to finish 10 years of diaper-changing. Next month, I'll be changing my grandbaby's diapers.
~ I shudder at a memory described in 2000: a trip to Gettysburg during which the kids behaved horribly. And so did I. They weren't even all that young, so I figure my behavior was justified.
~ Kids' ballgames, orthodontist appointments, kids' concerts and the like were prevalent themes for about 15 years. I miss the kids, but I'm enjoying the quieter evenings.
~ What a dramatic event: taking our oldest son to college! Now it seems as ordinary as a trip to the grocery store.
~ I've never again pulled into the garage with the Christmas tree still on top of the van: once was enough.

Even if the majority hates our Christmas letter, I will treasure them as snapshots of life as it used to be.

Do you write a Christmas letter? Do you love them, hate them, save them, toss them? Just wondering.

2 comments:

LPool said...

I write a Christmas letter and I do like getting some Christmas letters. I think I like the ones that are true to life...ups, downs and inbetweens. I get one letter from someone and it's always filled with what new painting they accquired and it's not a Kincade, it's more like a Picasso or Monet. They have always been to some exotic vacation spot. I'm happy for them, really I am but does nothing bad ever happen? I think when it becomes bragging I want to gag.

The Artful Dodger said...

Barb,
We look forward to the Haller letter every Christmas. I write as well, and a couple years ago, I was almost crucified by family and friends for not writing one. They certainly can be a reflection pool to what once was and what shaped who we are today.
Tim