Sunday, February 19, 2012

brother turns 60: how did this happen?


Mom wrote '1956' on the back, but I think I am older than 18 months in this photo!
If I'm 2 and 1/2, then Pat would be 5. Memphis, Tennessee:
we didn't live in a concentration camp, though it looks like it.
 My older brother, Pat, turns 60 today. Sixty!? When my son David turns 60, I know I'm gonna feel old! But I feel old enough with my brother turning 60, which means I'm following close on his heels.


A favorite family photo of Pat on Halloween, 1960, age 7. For a few years after this was
taken, our mom wore this mask to scare kids at our door on Halloween.

Pat's an avid golfer, and hasn't let knee and shoulder replacements interrupt his game too much. It's funny, because as a kid he was a little chubby and had no interest in sports or exercise of any kind. I don't remember him playing ANY sport. The nerdy, brainy big brother. Then came college and he got serious about fitness. He began to run, lost weight and has stayed trim and fit ever since. Pretty amazing!


Pat and me on Martha's Vineyard, 1975. We were daring and hitchhiked together.
Brother, I wish you a very happy birthday. Golly, 60. How did this happen? 
Pat's on the far left, with his younger siblings and our dad,
celebrating Dad's birthday in December.


No comments: