Friday, September 3, 2010

a sabbatical of sorts


Do you ever feel that you need a sort of sabbatical, when you must pull away and get your thoughts and your life in order? Webster's points out that the term "sabbatical leave" originally meant a period of absence given every seven years.

That's where I am this beginning of September. Looking back over our summer calendar,  I was startled to discover I'd made eight out-of-state trips since late May. Well, no wonder things are in disarray around here. Since my work schedule has slowed down, I've decided to change my focus a bit. Reading, writing, reflecting, Bible study. Closets and kitchen cabinets. Organizing the bajillion books around here.

Wednesday the pantry got an overhaul. I threw away no fewer than three old boxes of graham crackers. And other things I just can't mention admit. Know what I mean?

Yesterday I jumped into my cookbook cabinet, pictured here. Katie caught me searching for a recipe. TIME WASTER! I found the lost recipe for delicious Chewy Raisin Bars and - no joke - a recipe for Flubber! One of the children's science projects, no doubt. It made me laugh.

Today I'll do another kitchen cabinet. No telling what I'll find.

I think we women sometimes don't allow ourselves to pull away. For me, raising children made it easy to slip into a lifestyle of doing for others, with little balance of giving to myself, whether physical exercise, reading, spiritual growth, or just doing something I really want to do. Like organizing my home. (That's even hard to say: me, myself, my.)

How do you find balance? Have you ever taken a sabbatical?



2 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

Thanks for letting me interrupt your sabbatical. You're a treasure!!!

Love,
Karen

klrodman said...

I remember before starting to work so much that I loved the weeks following "back to school" because I would finally get the time to organize...me, my spiritual life, my house. I miss that. I know I need more margin...that's hard. God sometimes awakens me in the night...I get good time with Him then, but it wreaks havoc with my ability to function the next day. lol. Saying "no"...great idea, hard task for a people pleaser. I want to be more of a God pleaser. I want there to be enough quiet in my life that I can hear God. Good entry today...made me think.